In a recent presentation to the Undergraduate Marketing Association (UMA) at the University of California San Diego (UCSD), I challenged students with 10 Action Items to Become Successful in Marketing. My goal was to provide them with ideas that they could apply immediately or strive to achieve to become more marketable for their first job after graduation.
The list is compiled from my own personal recommendations based on lessons I’ve learned from my mentors and my experience over 20+ years of marketing-related jobs. Although they’re simply listed below, more details are provided in the slideshow embedded in the blog post. I highly encourage you to view the slideshow for more insight on each recommended action item.
10 ACTION ITEMS TO BECOME SUCCESSFUL IN MARKETING
- Write a Feature-Benefit Statement
- Goals Must Have Dates!
- Learn Project Management
- Talk, Walk and Breathe Customer Service
- Build an Inventory of Skills
- Improve Your Research Skills
- Improve Your Communication Skills
- Optimize Your LinkedIn Account
- Build a Lifelong Learning Network
- Build a Positive Mental Attitude
What are some of the action items that you enjoyed? What recommendations can you share with students or marketers that find and read this blog post? I welcome you to leave your comments below and share with our community.